Get your Google+ Custom URL
Its been a while in coming, but finally Google has made it possible for Google+ pages to get a custom URL (often called vanity URLs).
This is something that Facebook has offered business for a while, and its great to see Google+ catch up. So what is a custom URL? well put it simply is a short and descriptive URL.
PADI’s Google+ page previously could be found under the URL https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/104221044456560811502/104221044456560811502/posts
Short, snappy and memorable? No! Especially when you consider our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PADI how much simpler and easier to remember is that, and it’ll also show up in searches for PADI a lot better.
Since the change my Google+ URL is: https://google.com/+trevorsanford
Much better, and a lot simpler. Soon I’ll just be able to advertise +trevorsanford and people will know what to do.
So how do you get this custom URL for your own Google+ page?
First off, Google actually assigns the custom URL to you, and you only get the chance to customise this if its not unique. ie. if there is more then one business on the web with your name. There are also number of eligibility requirements, depending if its a personal profile, Google Local connected or non Connected business page.
efore you can get a custom URL, your account needs to be in good standing and meet the following requirements:
Eligibility for People:
- Ten or more followers
- Your account is 30 days old or more
- A profile photo
Eligibility for Local Google+ pages: Must be a verified local business
Eligibility for Non-local Google+ pages: Must be linked to a website
So How do I claim my Google+ URL
If you are eligible through the above criteria you will see a notification at the top of your Google+ profile or page. The just follow these simple steps as described by Google:
- Click Get a custom URL button to get started. Alternatively, from the “About” tab on your Profile, click the “Get” link located under your Google+ URL.
- You’ll see the URL(s) you’ve been approved for. If you see more than one option, select the one you like best. You may also be asked to add a few numbers or letters to make the custom URL unique to you.
- Check the box to agree to the Terms of Service.
- Click Change URL.
- Google may ask you to verify your account by your mobile phone number. If you need to do this, you’ll see a box pop up asking you to do so.
a. Enter your mobile phone number.
b. Check the box to make it easier for people who have your phone number to find you on Google services.
c. Check your phone for the code that was sent to you.
d. Enter that code in the box.
e. Click Verify.
- Once approved, this URL will be linked to your Google+ page or Profile, so be sure everything is exactly the way you want it. Once your URL has been approved, you can’t request to change it. When you’re certain, click Confirm.
Using your custom URL; now you can use this simple short url in your advertising or when printing flyers or on email signatures. Also using these short cuts you can direct people to specific areas of your page or profile.