Pinterest has now gone way beyond a simple image sharing and curating platform. Its successful at driving sales and features strongly in Google Search Engine Optimisation signals. If your business currently doesn’t have a Pinterest page then I would suggest you start by reading my article on how to get your business started on Pinterest. If you already have a Pinterest business account then read on.
If you are a business with a blog or a online shop then I think you should be using Pinterest rich pins.
What are Pinterest Rich Pins?
Pinterest rich pins are a newish addition to the range of Pinterest features for businesses. They are enhanced pins that display more information then the normal pins that you pin or upload, this makes them more interesting and a powerful tool for businesses on Pinterest.
Rich pins are a Pinterest version of rich snippets that I talk about in my advanced search engine optimisation article. They provide and highlight additional information on the pins you pin. Depending on the type of rich pin you will not only just be able to display and image and a description but Pinterest also allows various extra information to be pulled form your website or blog such as price, stock availability, location and many more depending on what type of rich pins you use.
Types of Pinterest Rich Pin.
In all Pinterest gives you a choice of 5 different pin types:
- Place Pins include a map, address, and phone number. Perfect for Travel Destinations.
- Article Pins include headline, author and story description. Perfect for Blogs.
- Product Pins include real time pricing, availability and where to buy. Pinners also get notifications when product Pins they’ve added drop in price. Perfect for online stores
- Recipe Pins include ingredients, cooking times and serving info to get Pinterest cooks excited to hit the kitchen. Recipe search filters help Pinners narrow in on vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, paleo and indulgent meal ideas.
- Movie Pins include ratings, cast members and reviews to help Pinners learn about new films.
Of course if you are running a cookery or movie blog then 4 & 5 will be of interest, but for most business 1-3 are the ones to concentrate on.
A Pinterest board with pinned articles using the article rich pin:
A normal Pinterest board of pinned articles:
How do I get Pinterest Rich Pins?
If you are running a website or blog via WordPress.com then skip to the next part as all the markup is already included. If you are using WordPress.org then you can download a Pinterest rich pin plugin to help you. If you have a website then you will need to use one of the two markup options that Pinterest supports, you can find out more about these on Pinterest’s rich pin help.
Once you have decided which rich pin type you want to use you need to validate and apply to Pinterest to have them enabled, you can do this simply on the Pinterest site. You can validate your Rich Pins and apply to get them here on Pinterest.
Happy and successful pinning!